Sunday, October 25, 2015

BaFa Activity

Each group in the Ba Fa activity had a different focus.  I don't remember the names of the groups. My group was focused on obtaining currency. In some ways that was helpful because it provided a shared task and a context. In other ways that was negative because we clung to that context. It was difficult for me to learn the language. I found it to be stressful and anxiety inducing. There was one right way. When someone approached me for a card, I would attempt to count and understand and when there was a challenge was told no or that I was counting wrong. The focus was not on helping others understand, but on meeting individual needs. I was concerned when I couldn't help others. I also obtained one straight and stopped. I had already met my goal. It is not part of my actual culture to get as much as I can. There was some rapport and comfort over time that developed in the group. We were able to use humor. The rules shifted a bit and people tried different ways to make themselves understood. They began showing cards and trying a bit more to share with others. The focus was still very individualistic. I am glad that I didn't have to go to another group because I was still getting used to the rules of mine.  When visitors came to the group I was not helpful, none of us really were. Helping others was not part of our task. Overall the goal seemed to be obtain as much currency as you can, any way you can with the language as a starting point.

It is difficult to identify the social constructions as they were mediated by our own lived experiences, preferences and personalities. As a first generation American who is not fluent in the languages of either of my parents, not understanding the language is not a new experience for me. The difference is someone usually makes an effort to be inclusive. As family the focus is on belonging. I will make attempts at the languages. Someone will translate when needed. As an introvert, extended communications in a new way after teaching all day and before facilitating open house was a challenge as well.

I didn't observe the other group. I merely heard about it. I think the physical closeness would be uncomfortable. The focus of that group seemed to be sharing and learning about others.

The skills of cultural observing and learning play out in reality at UCBA when there are opportunities to sit back and learn the values and expectations in different groups and committees.  I can listen before speaking and learn the perspectives of others. While there are opportunities to interact and get involved in our college they all require either taking initiative to do so or being invited to do so. There aren't natural, organic ways to meet people or learn about the college and the roles.  If I see new people, I can reach out and see what help they may need. I can be the one to extend the invitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment